COVID-19 Resources

CHWC is committed to providing all of the resources and information we can to help the residents and businesses that make up our neighborhoods during this uncertain time.

Below you will find a summary of resources for anyone seeking basic needs, tenants, homeowners, consumers, employees, employers, and for volunteers looking for ways to help your neighbors.

We’ve added our own resources and research to a list Rep. Sharice Davids has compiled for those affected by COVID-19. Links to specific topics can be found below.

If you need assistance and don’t find a resource listed below, please visit the United Way’s 2-1-1 website.

For tenants and homeowners

If you are a tenant or a homeowner living in Kansas and will be unable to pay your rent or mortgage payments because of financial hardship caused by COVID-19, you may be able to access financial assistance through local agencies to help pay your rent, utilities, or mortgage.

CHWC is a HUD-Certified Housing Counseling Agency

If you are having trouble with your housing situation, we can help!

Access Rent, Mortgage, or Utility Assistance

CHWC can help you get connected to financial assistance. Sign up for an appointment with our housing counseling team and start assessing your needs.

Back to the top

For consumers

During a declared state of emergency, Kansas sellers are forbidden from raising prices significantly on necessary goods and services. The Wyandotte County District Attorney has issued a memo explaining the law, your rights as a consumer, and where to report price gouging or scams.

Price Gouging and Scams

For employees

The Federal Government has put several measures in place to help compensate for lost income and unemployment due to the pandemic. You may be eligible for two weeks of paid leave from your employer if you or someone you provide care for becomes infected, and an additional $600 per month in unemployment if you lose your job as a result of COVID-19. If you are looking for a job, click here.

Back to the top

New FMLA and paid leave requirements

Unemployment benefits

U.S. Senate overview of the unemployment benefits included in the CARES Act

Information on applying for Kansas unemployment benefits

You can text text 816-842-7425 to access Goodwill's support text line. They can help you apply for unemployment. You will get immediate auto-responses, and you can also access individual personalized help between 9 am and 9 pm. 

Back to the top

Finding Work

Team KC’s list of employers hiring now for permanent and temporary positions

Text 816-842-7425 to access Goodwill's text support line. They can help you find job leads. You will get an immediate automatic response, and you can also access individual personalized help between 9 am and 9 pm. 

Back to the top

For small businesses

If you are self-employed or own a business employing up to 500 employees, you may be eligible for assistance from the Small Business Administration. The SBA is offering both forgivable and low interest loans to help small businesses hurt by the pandemic. The forgivable loan is called the Payroll Protection Program, and it allows employers to borrow approximately 2.5 times their average monthly payroll to support their businesses. If the employer does not reduce their workforce for at least 8 weeks after receiving the loan, all or part of the loan will be forgiven.

The SBA also offers low-cost loans through their Economic Injury Disaster Loan program. The Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program (EIDL) can provide up to $2 million of financial assistance (actual loan amounts are based on amount of economic injury) to small businesses or private, non-profit organizations that suffer substantial economic injury as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Finally, a local Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), Alt Cap, is offering very low interest loans to small businesses with 20 or fewer employees.

Back to the top

SBA CARES Act resources

Other small business resources

Tax Relief

For volunteers

If you need help

The Kansas City nonprofit community is working hard to offer assistance to families in need of emergency assistance funds, food assistance, medical care, childcare, internet access, and even pet care. We will keep this list of resources updated daily and add as we learn about new resources.

Back to the top

Emergency Assistance: rent, utilities, mortgage relief

Food Assistance

Medical Assistance


Internet Access

Internet and phone assistance are available for a limited time from the Unified Government and AARP. You can read the requirements and find out how to apply here.

NDIA directory of free and low-cost Internet service providers

Computers, Internet access and training request

You can text text 816-842-7425 to access Goodwill's support text line. They can help you access tech support for internet connectivity and devices and connections. You will get immediate auto-responses on the topic you request, and you can also access individual personalized help between 9 am and 9 pm.

Back to the top

Pet Care