Foreclosure Prevention

Trouble Paying Your Mortgage?

If you are having trouble paying your mortgage, there are steps you can take to avoid foreclosure. Read some of the alternatives below to see if they are right for you.

If you need more information, you can set up an appointment with a Housing Counselor or call CHWC at (913) 342-7580.

Because of the long-term, negative effects that foreclosure can have on your credit, Community Housing of Wyandotte County (CHWC) recommends several options worth exploring to avoid foreclosure:


You are allowed to delay payments for a short period, with the understanding that another option will be used afterwards to bring the account current.


When you are behind in your payments but can promise a lump sum to bring payments current by a specific date.

Repayment Plan

If your account is past due, but you can now make payments, the lender may agree to let you catch up by adding a portion of the past due amount to each current monthly payment until your account is current.

Modify Your Mortgage

The lender can modify your mortgage to extend the length of your loan (or take other steps to reduce your payments). One solution is to add the past due amount into your existing loan, financing it over a long term.

Sell Your Home

If catching up on payments is not possible, the lender might agree to put foreclosure on hold to give you some time to attempt to sell your home.

Property Give-Back

The lender can allow you to give back your property – and then forgive the debt. However, givebacks have a negative impact on your credit record, although not as much as a foreclosure. The lender might require that you attempt to sell the house for a specific time period before agreeing to this option, and it might not be possible if there are other liens against the home.

Contact Your Mortgage Company

CHWC encourages homeowners to call their mortgage company as soon as you begin experiencing financial difficulties.

“The worst thing a family can do is nothing,” according to CHWC Housing Counselor. “Call your mortgage company the moment you know you cannot make your mortgage payment. They cannot help you if they don’t know your situation.”